Sunday, May 30, 2010

Managing the unmanageable: fostering an online community



I’ve been doing research lately on online communities for a project I’m involved in. The project (in a current state of un-linkable transition) is essentially to become a resource for building connections within a community.

Thus, we’ve decided that we need an online portion to gather our users together and let them really participate and take advantage of what the project has to offer.

On my quest, I’ve uncovered some great articles other community managers have contributed. Here are the top three I’ve found so far.

Community Spark: Okay, this is actually a whole website dedicated to building online communities. How cool is that? It’s full of articles to pick and chose with great tips. My favorite so far is a kind of fill-in-the-blank Q&A that you should be able to answer before starting your project. How is your community unique? What subjects raise the most interest from your community? Can you sum up its purpose in a sentence? I will definitely be using this sheet as my team develops our presence.

Building and Online Community: Matt Houghey gives an overview for people who are thinking about starting an online community. It’s a kind of heads up of what to expect in the managerial role.

6 Truths: Mack Collier’s article is either a wake-up call to those with an online community, or a good guide for those who are starting one to keep in mind.

2 comments:

  1. Great resources. Community building is a favorite topic of mine too. More to the tactical side, but you might find this post I wrote on Facebook communities interesting: 8 Keys To A Thriving Facebook Community For Your Business

    Keep these posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Matt! I really enjoyed your post. We're actually going to use Facebook as our community site, so this was perfect for my interests!

    ReplyDelete